The Candidate Academy delivers practical courses focused on helping young graduates develop workplace competencies by learning how to apply their theoretical knowledge to implement engineering projects and processes. The training is largely exercise-based, revisiting the theory, considering case studies or typical applications, and participating in guided practical learning exercises.
Since its inception in April 2010, over 11 750 delegates have been trained by the Candidate Academy.
Courses are offered in a range of categories:
Contractual and Procurement
- Getting Acquainted with Basic Contract Administration and Quality Control *
- Getting Acquainted with Estimating, Costing and Pricing of Construction Tenders *
- Getting Acquainted with General Conditions of Contract for Construction Works (GCC2015)
- Getting Acquainted with Planning, Scheduling and Programming for Construction Projects *
Roads and Stormwater
- Getting Acquainted with Basic Stormwater Design
- Getting Acquainted with being a Resident Engineer
- Getting Acquainted with Road Construction and Maintenance
- Getting Acquainted with Sewer Design
- Getting Acquainted with Water Resource Management
- Pressure Pipeline and Pump Station Design and Specification – A Practical Overview
Road to Registration
- Road to Registration for Candidate Engineers, Technologists and Technicians
- Road to Registration for Mature Candidates
- Road to Registration for Mentors, Supervisors and HR Practitioners
- The direct route to registration as a Construction Project Manager or Construction Manager
Although courses are aimed at graduates, most courses carry CPD points and have been validated by ECSA recognised Voluntary Associations, and therefore also serve as useful refresher or update courses for professionally registered persons to earn CPD points and maintain their registration.
* Selected courses also carry CPD points from the South African Council for the Project and Construction Management Professions (SACPCMP).
Public courses are presented through SAICE and CESA. Training may be face-to-face or online. In-house courses are available on request and may be adapted to some extent to focus on your corporate needs.